While many DWSD customers have the financial ability to make their monthly water payments, other customers need a helping hand. United Way for Southeastern Michigan and the City of Detroit are joining forces to establish a single water support fund to help those customers who want to pay their bills. It’s a way to help them catch up on overdue bills and stay above water.
Detroit Water Fund Eligibility
Customers must visit their local Detroit Water and Sewerage Department in order to enter into a payment plan agreement and make a down payment on their outstanding bill. Ask for an application for the Detroit Water Fund. Complete the application, along with the proof of payment plan agreement and supporting documents, and send to:
United Way for Southeastern Michigan
Attn: Detroit Water Fund
660 Woodward Ave., #300
Detroit, MI 48226
- The fund will pay up to 50 percent of a customer’s past-due bill and $18.75 of future monthly bills for up to 12 months.
- Customers must continue to pay their remaining portion of the bill each month in order to remain eligible.
- Have an outstanding balance between $300 and $2,000
- Maintain average water usage for their household size
- Have incomes at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level
To apply, please call 313-267-8000 or visit your nearest Detroit Water and Sewerage Department service center.