While many DWSD customers have the financial ability to make their monthly water payments, other customers need a helping hand. United Way for Southeastern Michigan and the City of Detroit are joining forces to establish a single water support fund to help those customers who want to pay their bills. It’s a way to help them catch up on overdue bills and stay above water.
Detroit Water Fund Eligibility
- Customers must visit their local Detroit Water and Sewerage Department in order to enter into a payment plan agreement, and make a 10% down payment on their outstanding bill.
- The fund will pay up to 25% of a customer's monthly bill for up to 12 months.
- Customers must continue to pay their remaining portion of the bill each month in order to remain eligible.
- Customers who have an outstanding balance between $300 and $1,000;
- Maintain Average Water Usage for their household size;
- Customers who are enrolled in DTE's Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan (LSP) OR have incomes at or below 150% of the federal poverty level.